All New Zealanders are required to pay levies to ACC, as the money gained from ACC levies goes to universal coverage for injury claims for all New Zealanders. When you’re self-employed, you’re automatically added to ACC’s CoverPlus. 

But you’re also responsible for paying three other levies: 

  • Earners’ Levy (non-work injury cover)
  • Work Levy (for workplace injuries)
  • Working Safer Levy (collected to support Worksafe NZ)

Your ACC levy rate is charged based on the type of work you do as some industries are more high risk than others. For example, a skydiving Instructor will have a higher levy rate than a bookkeeper, so we need to know your job type in order to ensure we have you on the right levy rate.

Even if you are paying ACC levies via an employer (ie, if you are also earning wages/salary), you are still required to pay ACC levies for your self-employed work.

If you're with Hnry, we will take care of deducting and paying all of your ACC levies on your behalf, so there's no need for you to do anything.

Other Useful Articles:

Did this answer your question?