As a self-employed individual, you are not eligible for Employer Contributions to your KiwiSaver scheme, however you may be eligible to get a contibution from the Government up to a maximum of $521 a year.

Now called the ‘Government Contribution’, formerly known as the ‘Member Tax Credit’, it works like this: For every $1 you contribute towards your KiwiSaver between 1 July and 30 June each year, the government will match you 50% up to a maximum contribution of $521. 

It doesn’t matter who your KiwiSaver scheme is with, but you do need to have one in order to receive the Government Contribution. 

To be eligible for the full Contribution, you must: 

  • be over 18 and under 65 years
  • currently reside in New Zealand
  • have been in some KiwiSaver scheme for the past 12 months
  • have not yet withdrawn your KiwiSaver funds for retirement
  • have paid at least $1,043 into your KiwiSaver account between July 1st and June 30th the following year.

Here are some helpful things to know about the ‘Government Contribution’:

  • You’re still able to get a 50% return on your investment, even if you don’t reach the maximum. So if you contribute $500, you’ll still get $250 from the government. Either way you look at it, that’s basically free money. And millions of people aren’t aware of it!
  • If you joined KiwiSaver or turned 18 at some point midway through the KiwiSaver year (July 1 to June 30), the government will make contributions based on the number of days in the period that you were 18 or were registered in a KiwiSaver scheme.
  • These additional contributions from government are not taxed. 
  • For more information about KiwiSaver, the Government Contribution, and how you can get more out of your contributions, check out these articles from Simplicity and Sorted.

Did this answer your question?